Acid reflux remedies are natural and effective in giving relief from heartburn without any side effects. They are safe as compared to chemically formulated drugs that cause some or the other side effects. The most dreaded symptom of this condition is heartburn, which is the persistent burning symptom in the chest, which is annoying and gives a headache. There are many medicines formulated specifically to treat this condition, but those medicines are not safe and are associated with adverse side effects if taken for a longer time. Natural home remedies are safe as compared to chemically formulated drugs and can be taken even by pregnant women and children. Before we move on to these remedies, let us understand this condition.
Acid reflux is one of the most common yet uncomfortable problems that can happen to anyone. It is a medical condition in which the food pipe becomes irritates due to regurgitation of acid from the stomach. Acid reflux is characterized by symptoms such as heartburn, acid or food regurgitation, bad breath and sore throat. Chronic acid reflux can erode the lining of the stomach wall and can cause ulcers or GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). Hence it is important to take care of these symptoms right from the beginning by taking home remedies and corrective measures to treat as well as prevent further occurrence.
Some of the effective remedies for acid reflux are:
1. Apple cider vinegar: This is a quick remedy that works during the acute episodes of acid reflux. Mix one tsp of apple cider vinegar in half glass of water and drink immediately. This calms down the acidity and gives relief. You can also slowly sip this water with your dinner to prevent getting heartburn.
2. Ginger: This natural herb has great absorbing properties. It absorbs all the excess acid in the stomach and calms down the nerves. You can either take ginger root capsules daily after dinner or ginger solution (crushed ginger in half glass of water and then strain the liquid).
3. Fennel Seeds: Fennel seeds are effective acid reflux remedies as they aid in digestive conditions. Fennel seeds contain Anethole that helps in controlling the cramping pain or spasms in the stomach. You can chew these aromatic seeds directly after dinner.
4. Aloe Vera juice: Aloe vera has a soothing effect and is used in treating a number of digestive ailments such as indigestion, diarrhea and ulcerative colitis. Drink one glass of aloe vera juice in the morning on an empty stomach.
5. Licorice root: Licorice root is a popular herbal remedy used for centuries for treating gastrointestinal ailments. Licorice works by forming a protective gel coating on the stomach which helps in preventing acid attack. It is available in the form of tincture or tea.
6. Herbal tea: Drinking Chamomile tea soothes the inflamed mucosal lining of stomach and esophagus. Instead of consuming tea in few gulps, slowly sip the tea to increase its therapeutic effects.
7. Pineapple: Pineapple contains bromelain, which helps in digestion and relieving acid reflux.
8. Aniseed and Lavender tea: This herbal tea helps in reducing the amount of acid in the stomach. To prepare this tea, take equal quantities of lavender and aniseed and mix them in 2 cups of boiling water. Strain it and add one tsp of honey to sweeten it. Drink one cup of this tea daily on the morning to get acid reflux relief.
9. Baking soda: Sodium bicarbonate is a natural antacid that gives relief immediately. Just add one tsp of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it before the fizz goes away.
10. Acid reflux preventive remedies: Apart from natural acid reflux remedies, some corrective steps have to be taken to prevent the recurrence of heartburn. Make some dietary changes such as avoiding processed junk food and sugar, eating larger portions and going to bed immediately after dinner. Alter your meal times and take walk after your dinner. Drink plenty of water as it helps in proper digestion and keeps your body hydrated.By Sammy JayJay