You avidly watch in wonder as your hairstylist blow dries your hair. Why can't I do it like this myself at home you ask? They make it look so easy!
A good workman never blames his tools as the saying goes. But if you want to create salon blow-dried hair then it's all in the tools... oh and a little arm muscle is required too.
Here are nine tips to get the salon look yourself at home.
1. If your hairdryer is less than 1800 watts, then you would be wise to invest in a professional hairdryer. It will reduce drying time and make your life a lot easier.
2. Be sure to use the nozzle on your hairdryer for directional air-flow and a frizz free finish.
3. Always direct the air flow facing down the hair shaft. This smooths the cuticle (the scales coating your hair) Blowing in an upward direction will ruffle the cuticle, causing fly aways.
4. If you are trying to achieve volume, use a larger size barrel brush. Rule of thumb the longer the hair the wider the barrel. Always blow-dry in sections starting underneath and clip the remaining hair away. Your sections should be same width as the brush, pulling the hair back and away from the root to get maximum height as you dry. For a relaxed straight finish keep the hair flat to the head.
5. Quality styling products are a must but don't over use, less is more. Use a thermal heat spray to protect your hair from heat damage and a styling mousse to help control your hair. Ask your hairstylist which products to recommend for your hair type and desired style.
6. Ensure your hair is completely dry, even if it feels dry work on it a little longer. Any moisture in the hair will cause your style to collapse after a few minutes. It is worth the extra 5 minutes drying time.
7. If your natural hair direction is left to right, experiment with blow-drying the hair from right to left (and vice-versa). Then flip the hair back when the hair is dry. This will help increase the root volume.
8. For extra volume and hold, once you have blow-dried your hair put in large velcro rollers, spray with hairspray and leave to set for about 10 minutes. They are easy to use and no pins required. Don't worry about them being neat; it won't affect the end result.
9. Tip your head upside down and spray the roots with a light hold flexible hairspray. Ta da! Now you have salon styled hair ready to go and flaunt it.